Sunday, February 26, 2012

Studies of Key West

5x7 Oil
Studies of Key



Here are some of the studies of the Key's.  As I progress deeper into the concept of value, these paintings have been taking on a photographic quality.  The boat was one of the last ones I did in Key Largo and there is a marked difference from the earlier ones.  What Mike taught me is starting to make sense now.

Also under Mike Rooney's  tutelage I learned that color is secondary to value, and there is no substitute for being there.
I took pictures of the buildings and sky of Key West, then compared them to the color studies I did of the same subject.  Its like night and day!  No wonder paintings from photos tend to look a bit dark or to light.  When out on the street painting Mike drilled it into me that artists have to have a stored memory to paint from.  There are three reasons to have a good understanding of what your seeing stored in one's brain.  First, is for referral on how to mix color temp. and saturation. Secondly, when you take a painting home to finish you can use past information to solve issues that arise from not being there.  Last, so you can paint a photo to the best advantage and create a harmonious shift of values, color, temperature, and color saturation.

  
The frame is actually made of old lobster trap slats.  Kinda neat to see the barnacles and other sea damage on the frame. Also there is an official lobster trap tag on it too.  :-)  So how cool is that?

Will be posting some of the oils I did in color soon.  Check back!

No comments:

Post a Comment