Sunday, January 15, 2012

My Lil' Homely Tea Pot

Diddle Tea Pot 5x4 oil
  These little 15 or 20 minute diddles are my start to the day, then on to serious stuff.  Not that they don't have merit I guess.  To me they are exercises and not quite works of art.  As a visitor was picking through a few and chided me that I must post these also.  I promised to post a few as I ramble down this road.
    In reality, this tea pot has to be one of the worlds homeliest  teapots ever.  I found it at a yard sale for a dime.  It is out of kilter everywhere!  The lid nubbin is off center, and it doesn't quite fit on the rim.  The handle is not center to the body either.  It's sides are not square and the pattern is not square to the sides, really adding to the out of plumb look.   Guess that is what drew me to it. Joe, of course, said "Get out! Your taking that home!"   "Yup." and I did.  
     Bit of a side note.  It has to be one of the most uncomfortable pieces I have done to date.  I thought it would be easy to do, but no!   To put down true lines that were not square goes against the grain of what my brain/hand feels is correct.  The principle that I follow when I do these diddles is.. Draw/paint what you see, not what you think you see.  Was really hard to adhere to!

No comments:

Post a Comment