Friday, June 1, 2012

Rooster Doo

8x10 Oil on Hardboard
A little diddle that I did cleaning up the palette after I painted the Golden Goose.  Took about 20 min. and it too was fun to paint.

My little Art Inspiration Fairy had been on vacation for the last two months.  Its nice she finally came back! The funk came from two opposing views that caused an internal tension that I had to work through.  
'The Artist's Spirit' by Henri and Harley Browns book, 'Eternal Truths For Every Artist'  Both books are excellent reads and full of encouragement. In the case of Harley's book its chock full of techniques and processes.
The issue I had to work through was their outlook on drawing. Harvey wants an artist to be able to draw well.  Where Henri states he wants only the flimsiest of a sketch on the canvas.  You paint what your see you do not draw it first.  The later is how I paint because if I sketch it on the canvas I end up with to tight of a painting for my tastes.  I'm sure Henri insists that you must draw well just to use your brush to do so.  Guess I had to make a place in my head for both styles to meld a bit.  I have been told there is not a thing wrong with my drawing skills so I am at peace with doing it Henri's way.  You bet though that I still sketch in my book every day. Makes everything right with the world now.. So Back to painting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment