Friday, March 29, 2013

Great Blue Heron

Great Blue Heron
11x14 Oil on board


Finally finished this piece, forced into it as a client spied it on the easel and had to have it.  Up till then I did not think that I ever would get the eye correct and was hesitant to continue with the painting.  Their eyes are such odd shapes!  Disk-like so were such an oddity for me.  Also it was very difficult to get it with the right color.  But I percivierd and got it finished today.
Just a bit of a side note..  These birds are just fabulous to paint and to watch.   I took the photo of this bird along the way in Texas.  Seems that some members of the population migrate there to breed.   Perhaps it is just the members of the colder states that migrate.  The heron we have here just stays here.  It is a female so does not have the beautiful colorings that the males do.

No comments:

Post a Comment