Saturday, March 9, 2013

Cow With Calf Study

This study is for a larger piece.  Yes.. I did say larger.  Everyone suggests  going bigger so I can compete on a professional level.  But I'm not sure that is all together true.  I was told the judge of the FBAA show where I took 1st immediately went to my piece and picked it out.   The Young herd sire had caught her eye too.  Since you can't have more than one award to a show so she picked what she felt was the best piece.  Those paintings were 8x10 and 5x7.  So I still have it in my head that the more emphatically powerful a piece is at first glance, along with technique of medium on closer inspection, has a greater impact than size with most judges.  But I do know from showing animals its any given judge at any given time.

1 comment:

  1. How true. I got a third prize at New Martinsville and the same thing did not get in at Stifle. It was a large painting of flowers. I do not think there were any flowers in the show at all. It is a really good show this year. Lots of good pieces. I know it would be hard for me to pick what would go into a show as I do not see how what you like would not effect what you pick. They picked your smaller painting for best of show at Stubenville a couple years ago too, so I am not sure about the size thing. One of the girls over in W.Va. who sells lots of her paintings does even smaller than yours are. I really like this painting too, but me, like you also likes animals and birds. Only one animal that I seen in Stifle this year.

    ReplyDelete